I used to have bad skin because I didn’t know how to take care of it properly. Over time I learned my skin type and how to maintain it. A clear complexion with no wrinkles is what we all strive for. Below are some personal tips of mine that I swear by.
1. One of the most important things I’ve learned is to be EASY on your skin.
2. Make sure to take off your makeup every day before you go to bed. SERIOUSLY, don’t forget. I absolutely love Neutrogena Makeup Wipes. The wipes dry out so add some water to them as often as needed so you don’t have to scrub your face so hard.
3. Don’t over wash your face. 2 times per day is necessary. (morning and night)
4. Once you find a good facial cleanser stick with it! I’ve been using a basic drugstore cleanser called Clean n Clear. I’ve noticed it gets all the extra dirt and oil off my face, and I even use it to wash my makeup brushes. (Washing makeup brushes is a whole notha story tho and could stand as a blog post on its own) And to be honest, I have never noticed a difference between high end cleansers and drug store. I’m serious! I’ve actually had high end cleansers break me out so I’ve just settled with what works for me, and have been using it for years now.
5. Use a facial mask 1-2 times per week. I enjoy a good mud mask like the Dead Sea Minerals mask that you can buy on Amazon, or the Freeman brand that you can find at any old drug store.
6. Wash your makeup brushes once per week!!! Don’t forget this step. I have a routine that I find works best for me, so I’ll wash them every Sunday after noon. I fill the sink with warm water, and a splash of vinegar, and let it soak for a few hours. You’ll notice dirt and makeup particles floating at the top. In the palm of your hand pour a drop of that Clean n Clear cleanser (the oil free one in the orange bottle). I have no idea what it is about this stuff, and some may disagree with me on washing your brushes with it due to drying them out, but this takes ALL the crap right out of them and I can’t find anything else that does that.
7. MOISTURIZE. MOISTURIZE. MOISTURIZE. Oh, and did I mention moisturize?! After your face is clean moisturize your whole face and neck. I cannot part ways with Olay Oil Free Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin. I have used this for years and have ZERO complaints, not to mention it’s affordable and can be found at drugstores!
8. Use eye cream before bed time. I apply an under eye cream lotion every night before bed time. I haven’t settled on a favorite eye cream yet so give me your opinions please!
9. Do NOT pick at your skin. Ever. Seriously, what your parents told you when you were a teenager was actually right. As hard as it can be sometimes, I know, don’t pick at your skin because it makes things worse by causing damage to the skin by scarring, and causes it to take longer to heal itself. Leave your skin alone, and notice it will get better.